Our 21 students are working in labs from NC (Duke) to MA (Harvard and MIT), and on topics from computer languages to tissue formation. Join us here to read weekly updates from their time in the lab!

Visit the EXP page on Peddie website: peddie.org/EXP.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The First of Many 12 Hour Days - Week 1

At 5:00 AM on the dot a sharp ring echoed through my room signaling the beginning of my time working in The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP).  Two hours, two train rides and a taxi ride later I walked through the doors of the hospital.  Immediately the impact this experience would have on my life began to show.  All around me hung posters and images of the patients and doctors involved in this life saving institution.  Through the EXP program I was now a part of CHOP, which I think is pretty cool.

Because my lab is not soley research based there are a few unique protocols I had to follow before I started any work.  I was trained in the safetly regulations for the hospital and I took a tour through the different sections of the lab.  As the main Virology lab for the hospital, technicians are constantly running samples and testing patients who are waiting for their diagnosis.  As if that weren't enough work, several of the techs are responsible for validating new diagnostic modalities and equiptment that will be implemented in the future.  And just in case that didn't cover it, they were (are) now responsible for a 17 year old high school student from Peddie (me). 

After my first three days in the lab I have seen several steps of the process of diagnosing patients.  From processing to analysis each step must be done with care and accuracy EVERY TIME.  If not the results could be dire.  As a minor and not an official employee of CHOP it will be a while before I am cleared to do substantial work in the lab.  With that being said, there has not been a moment in the lab where I haven't been learning something.  Each member of Dr. Hodinka's team is about as knowledgable in their field as it gets and they always have something new to share. 

After my two week introduction to the lab is over I will recieve my project for the remaining four weeks. SO far the name of the game has been patience... learning how to take my time and STAR (the background of every computer in the lab) S-top T-hink A-ct R-eview: make sure all of your actions are well intended and appropriate.  I am excited for the remainder of my time in the lab and what new challenges await me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment