Our 21 students are working in labs from NC (Duke) to MA (Harvard and MIT), and on topics from computer languages to tissue formation. Join us here to read weekly updates from their time in the lab!

Visit the EXP page on Peddie website: peddie.org/EXP.

Friday, June 28, 2013

Week 2 at the Gab Lab

Hi everyone. This is Michelle, and I will be writing about my second week at the Gabrieli Lab, a brain and cognitive sciences lab at MIT. The beginning of this week was rather similar to my first week here. I continued organizing subject folders, updated subject test spreadsheets, and created an 'Assistant Production' and 'S9' (2 month retention test) tab, along with scoring guidelines for the database I had been working on earlier. 

Screenshot of the LAP Database

I finished all this pretty quickly, so I was asked to help out with CASL, LAP's sister project. Similar to LAP, CASL is trying to find predictors of good language acquisition skills in adults  by training subjects in a new language. The only difference is, LAP uses 'Miniature Artificial Language' (MAL), which is taught by animations and games, whereas CASL focuses on Mandarin, taught by a professor in a traditional classroom setting. I was given the task of grading homework and quizzes, taking attendance, and entering this data into the CASL database. 

On Thursday, I went to the weekly LAP/CASL meeting, where we went over administrative stuff and presented new data. I was asked by Amy to explain the database that I had made, and was happy to find that everyone was super pumped, as it is safer and more efficient than Excel in terms of storing data. Then, Amy said that since I finish stuff so fast, I could  help to write parts of the lab's paper if I wanted to. That night, I was also able to sit in and observe a fMRI scan, which needless to say, was really cool. It was nice to see how people prepared for a scan (NO METAL IN THE ROOM!), what subjects actually did in the scan (play animated games, take quizzes, and watch Arrested Development), and see amazing real-time images of the brain. 


fMRI machine
Today was part 2 of the 'Data Blitz' lab meetings, where around 20 people give quick 5 minute presentations on their work. Like last week, there was a huge variety of presenters, ranging from undergrads and TA's, to our PI John, and his wife Sue, who gave a compelling presentation about using cannabis to help schizophrenic patients. The meeting was 2 hours long, but the information was really interesting, plus there was pizza and bingo! 

Bingo, Half of the Data Blitz's Program, Presentation Room

Afterwards, Lilla (high school intern) and I met with Amy, who began explaining the different parts of the brain, and different methods such as fMRI and EEG. I noticed that my preparation in the spring really helped me, as I shockingly understood everything Amy talked about. Then, Amy suggested that the 3 of us meet every week to learn more about the brain, something I am definitely looking forward to. Next, I showed her my progress on the database, which she was very impressed by and grateful for. She then mentioned that before I left, the lab was thinking of getting all the high school students to do a mini data blitz, something that has me excited, but extremely nervous. I finished the week by playing around with the database, changing the format, and adding extra calculations and formulas to improve the experience.

I have definitely enjoyed this week more than my first week. While the database was tedious, I find that I am becoming more interested in using FileMaker to create a more user-friendly layout for everyone. I think this change in attitude came after I realized how genuinely grateful everyone was for the database, and how happy they were with my work. Next week, I will be testing subjects during training, and sitting in on an EEG. Oh, and I couldn't resist posting the pictures below.

Farmers market in the building & Tri-weekly ice cream bars..what?





No comments:

Post a Comment