Our 21 students are working in labs from NC (Duke) to MA (Harvard and MIT), and on topics from computer languages to tissue formation. Join us here to read weekly updates from their time in the lab!

Visit the EXP page on Peddie website: peddie.org/EXP.

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Rutgers Ware Lab - Week 2

Hi everyone, this is Michael and I've been working in Ware Lab at Rutgers. We focus on studying the body and shape of dragonflies and damselflies.

After a week of presentations in Germany, my professor and some lab members assigned me to run PCRs for about 50 samples. Since I had to pipette chemicals into vials for PCR one by one prior to running the PCR, the process took almost the whole day. After PCR was done, however, I used a pipette with 8 slots for gel electrophoresis, which probably saved me about an hour of work.

On Wednesday, Dominic, the third member of the lab, returned from Guiana with a lot of samples. One of them is a complete massive beetle he found in his house (see image below). Along with them were bees, ants, all sorts of interesting insects.

On thursday, Will introduced me to his project: he is designing a program that can identify Odonata species just by matching images of wings from those in a large database. I decided to take part in his project. The work basically involves scanning wings in a way much like how you scan papers, except they fly away extremely easily, so I had to perform every action gently to avoid messing up the scanning process.
Dominic's beetle
This is about the size of my palm. Dominic even
says that "it's like a toy", since you can move
its wings and claws freely.

Pipette with eight slots: without this, those samples would
take hours of work jsut to run a gel electrophoresis.

No comments:

Post a Comment