Our 21 students are working in labs from NC (Duke) to MA (Harvard and MIT), and on topics from computer languages to tissue formation. Join us here to read weekly updates from their time in the lab!

Visit the EXP page on Peddie website: peddie.org/EXP.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Finding the Link between Phenotype and Genotype. Week 1

This past week at Princeton University was an eye opener for me. My first thoughts when coming to a lab like this was based on the stereotype of research scientists by profession; brilliant, polite but not warm, and seemingly in another world.

I was proved wrong within an hour. My Principal Investigator, Joshua Shaevitz, walked towards me and greeted me with a warm smile and engaged me in a short conversation about my sporting ambitions. Who would have thought? When we walked into the lab, I met with the other members of the lab, one of which asked me if I wanted anything specific to eat for lab meeting that day.

Lab meeting was a fun experience, the Shaevitz Lab and another lab have a joint gathering in a conference room where graduate students as well as undergraduate students present their work to the post-docs. Now that's a tough crowd. Though I was lost within 10 minutes of each presentation, and even more so when questions were asked, I enjoyed it; I felt somewhat smarter, maybe just by diffusion.

Over the next couple days I was shown the data analysis equipment that I would use in a few weeks, because right now we are in the data collection phase of the experiment. Also, there was a bomb threat, to add some drama.

To end the week, I had to sit through a 3 hour safety training lecture, which I can't say was exhilarating, but it was definitely necessary. In week 2 I will begin working with the moth samples.

No comments:

Post a Comment