Our 21 students are working in labs from NC (Duke) to MA (Harvard and MIT), and on topics from computer languages to tissue formation. Join us here to read weekly updates from their time in the lab!

Visit the EXP page on Peddie website: peddie.org/EXP.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Week 1 @ Microdynamic Systems Lab

My research started on the morning of June 3rd. Since then I have forgotten myself and been living with agents in the Matrix, and was just now "unplugged" by Jiehan. (many thanks!!)

Researching at a robotics lab is different from my previous experimental experiences (dissecting a pig, analyze an integrated circuit with oscilloscope, titrating, etc),. By looking at the same screen for half of the time of a day, I learned new information every moment. In the first week I self-studied Robot Operating System (ROS) and understood concepts related to the research being conducted at the lab. In the other half of the time of a day, I helped mechanical engineers modeling protective skins (e.g. heat shaping) and electrical engineers fixing circuits (e.g. soldering, heat sinking), learned about integrated electromagnetics analysis, and observed the balancing of the ballbot.

One of the several lessons I learned was to balance between communicating immediately after encountering a problem and spending as much time as possible trying to figure it out before asking. Solutions depend on how much time is allowed and how effective time is used in figuring things out by self.

Best luck to best scientists!

No comments:

Post a Comment