Our 21 students are working in labs from NC (Duke) to MA (Harvard and MIT), and on topics from computer languages to tissue formation. Join us here to read weekly updates from their time in the lab!

Visit the EXP page on Peddie website: peddie.org/EXP.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Wait Finally Ends

Hey guys, it's Katie from the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia again.

So last week I received some news that I thought would be good, our probe was ordered and should arrive any day!  On the day Dr. Peretz and Dr. Crider came to visit my PI told me that even if it didn't arrive I would be able to start my project.  Unfortunately, that didn't end up happening and I was told to wait for delivery.  Almost a week later, we found out that the probe would not be arriving at all and I was given the go ahead to start my project.  With only a week to do a month's work of work I haven't had much down time.  Our project includes extracting, plating, and analyzing over 200 patient samples for HSV 1 and HSV 2.  The samples are run through a real time PCR thermocycler for amplification and the results are presented on a computer system.  I can't show you on the blog because I don't have access to my pictures yet but I will come poster time.  Anyway, the plate we are using has 96 wells all of which are filled with 50 mL of liquid.  Picture a tear drop in a miniature thimble and you kind of get the idea.  Our trial includes 4 different assays, two of which are type common (don't differentiate between HSV1 and HSV2) and the others are type specific (they tell you which one it is).  Each assay has a different target sequence so we are comparing the sensitivity and specificity of each.

My days now consist of arriving at the lab, retrieving my samples from the refrigerator, and moving to the amplification area.  Plating one run takes about an hour because you have to wait for your samples and master mixes to thaw, spin down your master mix, and then proceed to the actual aliquoting  of sample and master mix.  I generally get 2-4 plates done a day and I am down to my final run today.  By the end of today I should have my data ready to be analyzed and I will begin the long process of condensing a binder full of material into four spreadsheets.  Sounds fun right?

Overall I am enjoying my time in the lab.  Although I had more downtime and waiting time than anyone originally expected my project is coming along and things are looking pretty good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment