Our 21 students are working in labs from NC (Duke) to MA (Harvard and MIT), and on topics from computer languages to tissue formation. Join us here to read weekly updates from their time in the lab!

Visit the EXP page on Peddie website: peddie.org/EXP.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Weeks 3-4 Mendelsohn Lab

Hi this is Jason from the Mendelsohn lab at the Columbia University Medical Center. Compared to my first two weeks at the lab, I have been given a lot more work to do. For most of my time, I have been able to section many paraffin blocks embedded with either a mouse embryo or a mouse bladder using a rotary microtome. By cutting and collecting the important tissue, microns in thickness, we are able to take an even clearer look at the development of bladder cancer. I also have been able to stain many of my slides using the H&E staining method or by the immunostaining method, applying specific antibodies. Yesterday, I witnessed my first mouse sacking. Katya brought one of the mice to the lab in a small white box. I didn't know what was inside until she told me. I was startled when she opened the box and held the small black rodent in her hand. Then she put one hand on its neck and the other on its tail and pulled, dislocating its head. I was really freaked out but tried not to show it. She laughed at my attempt to conceal my emotions. She cut open its abdomen and took out its bladder. I was amazed. I have dissected a number of animals in the classroom, but I have never witnessed the actual sacrifice of a live animal to be dissected seconds later. It was a whole new experience for me.

I can't believe its been almost a month since I first started and the time spent at the lab has been flying by. Overall, it has been a great experience working in the lab.

(Paraffin block-mouse embryo)
(One section of the block in the water bath) 
(1 1/2 weeks of cutting and staining)
(Microtome and water bath) 

No comments:

Post a Comment