Our 21 students are working in labs from NC (Duke) to MA (Harvard and MIT), and on topics from computer languages to tissue formation. Join us here to read weekly updates from their time in the lab!

Visit the EXP page on Peddie website: peddie.org/EXP.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Fluorescence; The Crazy World of Wavelengths Week 4

Just a reminder, my name is Colton and I’m visiting the Buccella Laboratory at New York University. The lab is part of the chemistry department. More information about the lab can be found at  http://www.nyu.edu/fas/dept/chemistry/buccellagroup/ .

Monday morning started off early as usual. As I waited for everyone to arrive, I ate my breakfast overlooking Washington Square Park. It is such a beautiful view, but It isn’t just the view that is astounding; it’s a combination of NYU, their facilities and more importantly the friendly, intelligent people I’ve been able to work with.

Finally when Sarina arrived,(the graduate student I’ve been working with), I found out that I would be continuing my mini-project. My mini-project is fluorescent tests on 3 different compounds in various solvents, that I mentioned in “Fluorescence; The Crazy World of Wavelengths Week 3”. I had to finish testing compound 1c, which took up the morning and went into the afternoon.

The next day I planned to continue the experiment, but there was a catch. I've come to found that this often happens in research and it is generally time related. I could technically start, but I couldn't collect data till the following day. The issue was a matter of equilibration. Compounds 1a and 1b that I would now be testing had to equilibrate for at least 6 hours in 2 of the solvents I was testing them in, PIPES buffer and water. I prepared these solutions and all the others, so I would not have to take the time to make them the following day. After a quick lunch we continued our ATP titrations. A brief reminder; we are testing a fluorescent compound’s fluorescence when bound to Magnesium and the effects ATP has on the system. *For a more detailed background of the experiment please see week 2 and 3 of my blogs.  10 fluorescent scans had to be taken every ½ hour which meant we were going to be in the lab a while. Combined with our late start in the afternoon and the amount of time needed between scans, we didn’t finish the experiment until 8:30pm. It was all worth it in the end, we gathered the data we needed and found out that we don’t have to wait as long between scans in future experiments. On the overhand, we were still unsure what exactly was happening within the system. We believe it could be photo bleaching or slow equilibration. Photo bleaching is the breaking down of a compound over time as it is subjected to light (excited). Photo bleaching occurs at different rates for every compound, and the goal is for a compound to slowly photo bleach, meaning it can be excited multiple times before truly breaking down.  

The next day I was able to continue my mini-experiment on the UV-Vis & fluorimeter immediately. I have figured out a fairly proficient system for running my tests, which allowed me to finish them in a few hours.

Uv-Vis
Fluorimeter 
At group meeting this week, Debbie presented techniques used in the paper “Labeling Lysine Acetyltransferase Substrates with Engineered Enzymesand Functionalized Cofactor Surrogates”. You can access the article by clicking on its' title above. Although there was some information I did not have enough biology background to understand, I found that Debbie did well presenting the information, only adding to my comprehension. The big picture for me was learning more about the ways in which biology and chemistry interact.

Next week should be just as exciting as we begin to explore the reasons behind the results of the ATP titrations!

No comments:

Post a Comment