Our 21 students are working in labs from NC (Duke) to MA (Harvard and MIT), and on topics from computer languages to tissue formation. Join us here to read weekly updates from their time in the lab!

Visit the EXP page on Peddie website: peddie.org/EXP.

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Rutgers Ware Lab - Week 4

Hi everyone, this is Michael and I've been working in Ware Lab at Rutgers. We focus on studying the body and shape of dragonflies and damselflies.

Throughout the week, I worked on Will's wing scan project, and managed to finish scanning all of the wings he had given me earlier. Aside from that, most gene alignments were also completed. I also re-ran many PCR for the samples with poor quality.

At the end of the week, after numerous processes on organizing and comparing my dna sequences with the database online, I made an interesting discovery. The larva leg sample from Florida, which I got for a collector about 3 weeks ago, had thought to belong to the Libellula family. Now with my data, it showed that the sample was more closely related to the Orthetrum genus, a group that was not supposed to be found in the new world. On the next week, I would continue to work with this discovery.


No comments:

Post a Comment