Our 21 students are working in labs from NC (Duke) to MA (Harvard and MIT), and on topics from computer languages to tissue formation. Join us here to read weekly updates from their time in the lab!

Visit the EXP page on Peddie website: peddie.org/EXP.

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Week four: FlyVac Machine

Hi everyone. This is Sandra again. I am writing my forth week in  the Evolution and Behavior Lab in Harvard University.This week is quite exciting for me. I've finally got the chance to use the FlyVac machine to measure the flies' photo-tactic behavior!!



FlyVac machine and the computer
The data in the computer
The process was doing it was actually not as difficult as I thought. As you see in the picture, the FlyVac machine is connected to a computer that is used to collect the data. Lighter blue means a light choice and the darker blue means the dark choice. The white column is used for labeling the specific type of each fly. (Enriched or controlled, Canton.S or DGRP, Female or male). After doing the labeling and set up the computer, I have to load the flies that were in the second-staging tubes (Since they already been tested in Y-maze) into the choice tubes. There are 32 choice tubes in the FlyVac.Once the flies finished 40 choices (complete line in the computer), I would use a tube to suck the fly out(which is still alive inside the choice tube), and put another fly into the choice tube.
The tube I used to load the flies in and suck them out
The place where the flies end their life.....
In this coming week I will start analyzing the data in both Y-maze and FlyVac machine. I can't wait!! Hope everyone is doing fine in their labs too!

No comments:

Post a Comment