Our 21 students are working in labs from NC (Duke) to MA (Harvard and MIT), and on topics from computer languages to tissue formation. Join us here to read weekly updates from their time in the lab!

Visit the EXP page on Peddie website: peddie.org/EXP.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Computer Networking Lab Week 9

Hi this is Sohan checking in for the last time. I finished working in a computer networking lab this summer at Columbia University.

I finished on August 1st after Varun left for India for the rest of summer. I did more of the same kind of work: ran tests on the orbit lab, processed the .pcap files using the Python scripts, and then graphed the data using the MATLAB scripts. This week, however, I spent most of my time debugging parts of the MATLAB script. Some of the nodes in the Orbit-lab create .pcap files and .txt files that are different that those of the other nodes. They include extraneous information that the MATLAB script cannot process. My job was to create a code where the script could automatically detect the defective file, delete it, and then move on to the next in tact file. 

On August 1st, Josiah, the visiting undergraduate student from North Arizona University presented his end project. He did a very good job and even after working with him and performing the same tasks as him, I got the chance to clarify some aspects of the work we did, and gained some insight into the changes he made to the scripts as well. 

Lastly, I held off writing this post since Varun had wanted to come back and present my work and research to the lab group. Unfortunately, the curcumstances did not work out and he had to stay in India for a little while longer and thus I was unable to return. Nonetheless, I greatly enjoyed my time working under Varun and alongside the other members of Dr. Zussman's group. 

No comments:

Post a Comment