Our 21 students are working in labs from NC (Duke) to MA (Harvard and MIT), and on topics from computer languages to tissue formation. Join us here to read weekly updates from their time in the lab!

Visit the EXP page on Peddie website: peddie.org/EXP.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Last Week - Finally got rid of dimers

Hi this is Harry Zhang, and I just finished my 5-week lab work with Dr. Ballatore at UPenn. I participated in Dr. Ballatore's current project of making and categorizing carboxylic acid isosteres.

Methylation and LDA alkylation both failed to get rid of the CPD dimer, so Dr. Ballatore suggested another possible factor: the concentration of the starting material. If the starting CPD is too concentrated, it would be easier for it to attach to itself and form dimers. Using the rest of the new batch of CPD, I ran the same alkylation, again with LDA, but this time added more solvent so the starting CPD was ten times more dilute. Since this was the last week, I really hoped that this would work because we have been tackling this problem for almost the full duration of my stay and I would not have really contributed to the making of model compounds if this method did not work. Thankfully, after a work up and column, the LC-MS graph showed only our desired product's mass, and no dimers. That basically concluded my work with Dr. Ballatore and he said that he would send me more data once he finishes the whole project.

Although I have really only made one new model compound (the unmethylated CPD isostere was already made before and I only did it as a practice), I got a taste of what it is like to work with a scientific problem in real labs. By working at the issue in different angles, accompanied with constant testing, we were able to solve the persistent dimerization problem.

Overall, I think the 5 weeks at UPenn showed me what it is like to work in the field of scientific research. It consists of both logical and creative thinking, a lot of cool technology, but also a lot of repetitive work that sometimes even drives Dr. Ballatore crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment